Skip to content

Code Capsule Posts

I am tired of logging into websites

With the number of Internet services and web apps growing, the amount of statuses and indicators is itself growing. At the end of the day, you end up logging into 20 different websites in order to get a single value from each of them. And there are so many of them, just to name a few: StatCounter, Google Analytics, Apple iTunes Connect, Flurry, etc.

I am really getting tired of logging into all these websites, and here is my plan to fix it.

How to implement an algorithm from a scientific paper

This article is a short guide to implementing an algorithm from a scientific paper. I have implemented many complex algorithms from books and scientific publications, and this article sums up what I have learned while searching, reading, coding and debugging. This is obviously limited to publications in domains related to the field of Computer Science. Nevertheless, you should be able to apply the guidelines and good practices presented below to any kind of paper or implementation.

Hair Analysis and Detection in Facial Picture

Continuing on my experimentations with face transformation algorithms, I was wondering if it was possible to detect and extract, with a certain accuracy, the hair of a person in a facial picture. I found two useful publications on the topic, Detection and Analysis of Hair (Yacoob and Davis, 2006), and Frequential and color analysis for hair mask segmentation (Rousset and Coulon, 2008). Their approaches are quite similar, and make use of color models, frequency filters and Gaussian kernels.

Facial transformation framework on the iPhone

More than a year ago, I was playing with some Computer Vision algorithms, and I posted this: Active Appearance Models in C++ (Paamela). The framework I built back then was a bit more complete than a simple AAM implementation, and actually I went up to the point where I was able to transform the sex, age and ethnicity of a person in a picture. The code was basically sitting there, taking dust in my hard drive. I had been willing to try some Objective-C and mobile development for some time. With the use of some magic (and good cross-compiling skills), I have been able to port the code from Linux to the iPhone. I now have a fully functioning facial transformation framework running on the iPhone!